Uttapam is one of the south Indian healthy breakfast recipes and is prepared in every house. It can be made healthier by adding vegetables which you like to prefer. Uttapam is little thicker than normal dosa and is generally topped with vegetables like onions, capsicum, chillies, coriander, tomato, sweet corn etc. In this recipe, I am going to add sweet corn in the ingredients as a special topping.
- 3 cups Idli Batter or Dosa Batter (homemade or readymade)
- 2 medium Onion, finely chopped (approx. 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup finely chopped Carrot, optional
- 3/4 cup finely chopped Tomato
- 2-3 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1 cup Corns
- Oil for shallow frying
- Salt to taste
Preparation for Uttapam:
- Get prepared for the batter at home before the day itself to make this recipe. The batter is made with urad dal (Black gram Lentils) and with rice in a ratio of 1:2.
- Heat the tawa or non-stick tawa over medium flame. Add a few drops of oil on the hot tawa and spread it.
- Once the tawa gets heated, pour one ladle batter and spread it in round shape by gently rotating the ladle in the clockwise direction. Make sure the batter spread is slightly thicker than the normal Dosa.
- Now sprinkle one tablespoon of onions, one tablespoon tomato, one tablespoon of carrot and one and a half tablespoon of chillies and one spoon of sweet corn over it.
- Cook for approx.2-3 minutes until bottom surface turns light golden brown. If you are making very thick uttapam, cover it with a lid to speed up the cooking process.
- Flip it gently and cook another side for a minute or until the bottom surface looks cooked. And transfer it to a plate and serve hot with coconut chutney.